Location of position is: Slough, York or Llanelli
Salary in the range: The level of appointment and associated salary will depend upon qualifications and experience.
Your methodological excellence and insight expertise will be applied to a wide variety of projects; Internationally on projects such as PISA, PIRLS and TIMSS and on topics such as girls education, out-of-school-children, and strengthening learning assessment in low-income countries; to shape Policy by generating evidence about themes such as teacher retention, school improvement and pupil premium; and for Assessments by assisting in the development of NFER’s testing products as well as inputting into the statistical analysis required by the Trials Unit in designing and delivering robust randomised controlled trials and impact evaluations that comply with international standards.
About the role of Senior Statistician
As a Senior Statistician your work will be varied and exciting, you’ll develop proposals and lead projects using a range of multi variate techniques to explore data, build knowledge and generate evidence about education. You will work on a large variety of evaluation work, an exciting portfolio of test development projects and have access to an internal research fund.
As the Senior Statistician you will;
- contribute to the development of NFER as a leading statistical organisation, strengthening the quality of proactive and contract proposals, statistical methodologies and project outcomes
- build on NFER’s understanding of the policy context, developing strong client relationships, and designing research and product development initiatives to broaden NFER’s reach and impact
- contribute to research and development projects at a strategic level, to input into creative thinking and innovation
- further develop an understanding of statistical methods by investigating alternative techniques used by academics and other research organisations
- assist in leading a group of statisticians, psychometricians and trial managers in developing NFERs statistical and quantitative capabilities in relation to assessing and measuring the impact of policy and/or programme delivery across education in the UK and internationally
- work on internally and externally funded statistical projects and analyses.
- A Degree in Statistics, Mathematics or Data Science, with proven experience in research. You should have a strong academic background, and strong written and oral communication skills.
- Hands-on technical expertise in data management able to produce actionable insights and problem solving
- Have a strong understanding of using various statistical methodologies with applied statistics/data analytics in survey research, ideally including sampling methodology, weighting strategies, the use of multi variate analysis techniques and the analysis of hierarchical data
- Experience with statistical software such as SPSS, R, MPlus and MLwin
A registered charity with an income of £18 million and 210 staff. We undertake around 200 research projects every year, spanning all sectors of education and children’s services. Our clients include UK government departments and agencies at both national and local levels, which benefit from NFER's full range of expert and professional services. Our purpose is to provide independent evidence which improves education and training and hence the lives of learners.
We offer a pleasant office environment within beautiful green surroundings, close to Windsor and Slough town centres; connections by road, rail and air are excellent – we are within easy reach of the M4 and M40, London Paddington is 15 minutes by rail and with free parking. We believe in a work life balance; work a 35 hour week with 30 days paid leave per year, over and above Bank holidays plus additional discretionary days, good support for staff development and generous pension arrangements.
How to Apply
Please email your CV and a brief cover note to: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no closing date for this role, applications will be considered as and when received. For further information about this position please call: 01753 637269. Please do not contact this number if you are an agency/third party. This number is strictly for candidates only.