Research Director - Psychometrician
Based in our Slough office
Salary: £48,817 - £54,948; placement on scale according to qualifications and experience.
Due to NFER’s continued expansion we are looking to recruit a senior Psychometrician who can help maintain and develop the Foundation’s capacity and knowledge. The post will be of particular interest to those who work within the educational sector but we would welcome applications from Psychometricians who can bring expertise from other sectors.
We are interested in applications from individuals who are capable of carrying out high quality, complex analyses, and who can work on many of the Foundation’s test development projects.
We will give you:
- the opportunity to work in the UK’s leading independent research organisation
- the opportunity to work on major national test development project
- a career path to develop your knowledge and expertise
- the opportunity to make a difference
- an interesting and varied schedule of work
- a friendly and collaborative working environment
- the opportunity to publish
- the opportunity to attend external events to promote NFER
We need you to:
- be well qualified in psychometrics or statistics, or a highly numerate subject; preferably with a higher degree in a relevant discipline
- have significant experience in the implementation and design of classical test theory, equating, linking and item response theory
- be able to develop less senior psychometricians and researchers from others Centres
- be an experienced user of statistical software, ideally SPSS but including other statistical packages such as flexMIRT, STATA, R and MPlus or other IRT packages
- an ability to draft psychometric components of proposals and to lead income generation activities
- experienced in the delivery of national projects
- have an ability to ensure the quality of all statistical or psychometric outputs
- have a practical and well-organised approach to the analysis of data
- be able to work quickly and accurately to meet deadlines
- be able to communicate effectively, with both researchers, statisticians and other psychometricians
- have an ability to communicate analysis findings to a variety of audiences
- have extensive relevant work experience
- be able to contribute to Foundation-wide strategic activities.
Reporting directly to the Head of Statistics and to the Lead Psychometrician, the successful candidate will be involved in a number of psychometric, statistical and strategic areas. From time to time they will be expected, to work closely with a variety of different research teams across NFER, including statisticians in the Centre for Statistics and researchers in the Centre for Assessment.
NFER is a registered charity and an equal opportunity employer welcoming applications from all sections of the community. Benefits of working at the Foundation include 30 days paid leave per year over and above Bank Holidays and discretionary days, generous pension arrangements and good support for staff development.
Our offices are located in lovely grounds a mile from the town centre; communications by road and rail are excellent.
Applications should be made using the Foundation’s standard application form and returned to: email@example.com
Closing date: 4 August 2017
Interviews: Early September 2017
Applicants for this post should note that it is exempt from the “Rehabilitation of Offenders Act”; further details of NFER’s Disclosure & Barring Service (“DBS”) checking procedure are in the attached “Further Particulars” for this post.
- Job Description: Word | PDF
- Further Particulars: Word | PDF
- Application form: Word | PDF
- Equal opportunities summary: Word | PDF
- Equal opportunities form: Word | PDF
Registered charity no. 313392