The NFER Wales Office (NFER Cymru) was established in 1978 and is located in Llanelli. Our staff in Wales specialise in research, evaluation and assessment projects in Wales. Recent clients include the Welsh Government, a regional school improvement consortium, and individual local authorities.
The NFER Cymru offer includes:
- knowledge of the Welsh Government’s distinctive approach to education policy
- expertise in developing Welsh-medium assessments
- knowledge and expertise in translating international survey instruments and quality assuring the associated activities
- bilingual researchers with particular strengths in undertaking mixed-methods evaluations
- expertise in qualitative research and literature reviews in Welsh and English
- research specialisms in school-to-school partnership working, effective school improvement strategies and addressing the impact of poverty on the educational attainment of children and young people
Our work helps to inform the development of education policy in Wales and we strive to make our research findings accessible in order to assist and support teachers, school leaders, school support services, and the wider policy community in Wales.
- reports and other publications
- contributions to external conferences, policy fora and roundtable discussions
- our own blog posts and our contribution to those of other organisations.
The focus of our recent work has included:
- welsh language reading tests produced as part of the National Reading and Numeracy Tests
- evaluation of the Lead and Emerging Practitioner Schools Project Tranche 1 and Tranche 2
- analysis of the 2012-13 National Survey for Wales data on education (2014)
- work considering how Wales could structure its school support systems in light of evidence of how those services are structured in high-performing systems
- rapid review of curriculum and assessment arrangements in some of the world’s most high-performing systems.
For more information about our work contact us at:
21-25 West End Yard
Telephone: +44 (0)1554 750759 and +44 (0)300 123163