Academisation research study
NFER is undertaking research investigating the current structure of the school system, and exploring plans for all schools to be in ‘strong’ multi-academy trusts (MAT) by 2030 as outlined in the recent Schools White Paper. The research will:
- explore the current MAT landscape, how it has evolved over recent years and where school trust capacity needs to grow
- investigate how the MAT system is supporting failing schools
- explore Local Authorities’ (LA) views on the Government’s plans for all schools to be in a ‘strong’ MAT serving at least 7,500 pupils by 2030 and LA plans to establish their own MATs.
The research will include:
- an investigation of the MAT landscape and how it has evolved using administrative data
- an investigation of the movement of schools into and across MATs, particularly failing schools, using administrative data
- a survey of LAs’ view on and plans for all schools being in a MAT by 2030.