The Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) is funding the Midland Academies Trust (MAT) and US-based National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI) to deliver a pilot maths intervention, Connecting Maths Concepts, to Key Stage 3 students. The programme is based on the Direct Instruction model of teaching, which emphasises clearly specified, scripted lessons, designed around small learning increments.
It is intended that the programme will increase students’ confidence, enjoyment, knowledge and motivation to study maths, and ultimately their attainment in maths, whilst also improving their behaviour in, and motivation to attend, maths lessons.
The pilot is being undertaken between April 2019 and March 2020 and will involve 12 secondary schools who will each be delivering the programme to up to 42 students across Years 7 to 9.
NFER is undertaking the external evaluation of the CMC pilot which includes:
- a baseline and end-point survey of students
- four school case study visits, each involving an interview with the head of maths, a teacher delivering the intervention, and up to three focus groups of 4-6 participating students from each of the year groups 7, 8 and 9
- telephone interviews with a teacher delivering the programme in each of the remaining pilot schools
- student endpoint assessments
- interviews with project managers/developers
- observation of training, interviews with trainers, and observations of intervention delivery.