Supporting Education Development
NFER’s unique combination of research expertise and knowledge of global education means we are ideally placed for development, monitoring, evaluation and learning for education policies and programmes. We have provided assessment, research, evaluation and analytical support to a range of high-, middle- and low-income countries. Some examples of recent projects include:
- Sultanate of Oman: Evaluation of curriculum and assessment standards.
- Pakistan: Evaluation of the achievements of a national examination board and its impact on education and examinations in Pakistan.
- India: Technical support to the National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT) in order to produce state and national reports for the Class 8 National Achievement Survey and to build the capacity of the NCERT team for future reporting.
- Trinidad and Tobago: Technical assistance to the Ministry of Education for evaluation of their examinations, testing and assessment system, and formulation of future strategy.
- Australia: Developing reading and numeracy assessment items for the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), for use in their NAPLAN national assessment programme.
- Japan: Item analysis for the Benesse Corporation, in order to calibrate and link test instruments across subjects and levels.
Research and evaluation
- Mozambique: Undertaking statistical analysis as part of an evaluation of ADPP’s Food for Education programme.
- Department for International Development: An evaluation of the impact of the Global School Partnerships programme on the commitment to a fairer, more sustainable world, of young people in the UK.
- International Baccalaureate: An investigation into the teaching and learning benefitsof the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme in the UK.
- IEA: A research study using longitudinal TIMSS data into the globalisation of science curricula over the past twenty years.
Consultancy and capacity building
- Malaysia: consultancy for the British Council English Language Teacher Development Project (ELTDP), to support them in developing their participatory impact monitoring and evaluation system.
- Estonia: Delivering a training package to statisticians from the Ministry for Education and Sciences on hierarchical linear models and the development of value added models for measuring school performance.
- Malta: Consultancy to Creative Education, who were commissioned to provide professional development to Roman Catholic schools in Malta. This included supporting them in the development, refinement and implementation of their evaluation approach.
- British Council: Consultancy support to develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation strategy for their Core Skills training packages – learning packages to support teachers in the teaching of six core skills and competencies including creativity, critical thinking and digital literacy.
- India: Consultancy advice regarding the statistical analysis and interpretation of findings for the evaluation of an education programme delivered by a major global publisher.