We are research and evaluation specialists, valued for our independent insights and the breadth of expertise of our team. Whether we use a qualitative, quantitative or mixed method approach, our research is methodologically robust and suited to the needs of the client.
NFER has a unique perspective on education in low and middle income countries. Thanks to our long history of undertaking educational research and evaluation assessment services worldwide, our approach is informed by a global body of evidence.
Our international education specialists, supported by teams from across NFER, can design and deliver:
- Complex, multi-stage and multi-year programme evaluations
- Randomised control trials from design through to final delivery
- Assessments and measurement instruments
- Classroom observations
- Statistical and econometric analysis of education data (including international datasets such as PISA, SACMEQ and citizen led assessments)
- Focus group discussions with students, parents and teachers
- Reviews, evidence, scoping and cross-country comparative studies
- Policy briefs based on evidence and analysis on issues of importance to education decision makers
We carry out a wide range of research and evaluations to answer key questions about education, with a focus on:
We provide research on teachers, teaching strategies and school leaders that can help countries improve their policies and learning outcomes.
Our assessment research informs high-quality measurement of educational outcomes that is used to improve the lives of learners world-wide.
Our research gives an overview of the progress and challenges faced in education systems around the world, particularly as countries seek to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
We support policymakers, donors, and NGOs in ensuring that their policies and programmes provide an inclusive and equitable education.
Our EdTech research supports policymakers, donors and NGOs interested in using technology to improve the lives of learners.