Our key stage 1 assessment range includes mathematics and reading assessments for use in the year 1 spring and summer terms and the year 2 autumn and spring terms.
Our key stage 1 assessment materials include:
- child-friendly materials tailored to be engaging for young and very young pupils
- materials developed by NFER assessment experts in collaboration with teachers
- assessments trialled with thousands of pupils for reliable benchmarking
- access to a free and easy-to-use online analysis tool for instant reporting.
Click on the samples below to see the types of question, support and marking guidance you will find in NFER key stage 1 tests.
- KS1 reading sample materials
- KS1 maths sample materials
- See the full NFER Tests range (including termly maths, grammar and punctuation and spelling assessments).
Spring term teacher guides include diagnostic commentaries, providing formative benefits to identify strengths and weaknesses and provide next-steps guidance. Key stage 1 assessments begin in the spring term of year 1 to ensure pupils have a suitable level of curriculum knowledge before completing their first paper-based assessments. Assessments are tiered and in year 1, one paper in each subject is provided for all pupils and a second for pupils who can work more independently.
Teachers deliver year 1 assessments aurally to help guide pupils through the questions and to limit the demand on pupils to the specific skills being assessed. Flexible administration of assessment allows teachers to adapt to the individual needs of their class.
In year 2, materials reflect the style and challenge of the end of key stage 1 national curriculum tests, building familiarity through tiered papers to be taken by all pupils.