NFER has been developing tests and other assessments for many sponsors, including national governments, for over 70 years. We develop print and digital tests for summative or formative assessment of a wide range of topics and subjects, across a wide age-range. In addition, we have developed our own tests for Primary progress tracking and monitoring of the core subjects.
What is the purpose of assessment?
The purpose of assessment is a key question that determines how assessments are developed and used. The assessments we have developed for use in schools generally fulfil one or more of the following functions:
- to provide opportunities for diagnosis of areas of learning that require further development/consolidation
- to provide performance data on pupils to enable measurement of attainment and monitoring of progress
- to provide value-added data
- to monitor national standards over time
- to allow for international comparisons such as PIRLS, TIMSS and PISA
- to inform professional development and training for teachers.