Equalising access to apprenticeships
NFER is undertaking research into Level 2 and 3 apprenticeships, with a particular focus on access for young people.
The research will:
- investigate the availability of Level 2 and 3 apprenticeship opportunities across the country and associated age, qualification, skill and experience requirements
- investigate access of young people to apprenticeships, particularly those who are disadvantaged
- gather an in-depth understanding of employers’ Level 2 and 3 apprenticeship recruitment practices
- explore employers’ views on the value of recruiting young people aged 16-19 years to apprenticeships, as well as the barriers that prevent employers recruiting this age group.
The research will include:
- a quantitative investigation of the supply of apprenticeships across England using data from the Find An Apprenticeship (FAA) service
- 20 virtual qualitative interviews with employers exploring their apprenticeship recruitment practices and views on employing young apprentices.